3 curiosities of Portuguese language:

- qualquer / quaisquer

The plural of the word qualquer is very particular and interesting: quaisquer. Did you know that this is the only word in the Portuguese language that has the plural (“s”) in the middle and not at the end of the word?! :wink:

- Maçã e maçaneta

The origin of the word “maçaneta” is maçã. Maçaneta is a handle with a globular shape that is present in doors and drawers. This word is a diminutive of the word maçã., the fruit. If you look closely at the appearance of a doorknob, especially how it was made in the old days, it really is reminiscent of a small apple. :upside_down_face:

- Is Portuguese language an island?

We can say that Portuguese is the ideal language for people who live on islands. Why is that? Because of all the Portuguese-speaking countries, none of them touches each other. That’s right, none of the countries that have Portuguese as their official language have a border.
Do you happen to know how many countries have Portuguese as their official language? Well, there are 9 of them, and they go by the following names: Portugal, Angola, Brazil, Cape Verde, Guinea-Bissau, Equatorial Guinea, Mozambique, São Tomé e Príncipe, and Timor Leste. :desert_island:

1 Like

I love knowing about the origin of words!
And about the islands: my favorite so far is Ilha da Madeira, that belongs to Portugal. I hope I can go some day :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Ana, you must visit Azores as well!!!
This archipelago is an amalgam of twisted rocks, dark sand, lava tunnels, volcanic lakes and craters. Enchanting waterfalls, amazing lakes in craters, magical vegetation, beaches and exuberant nature.
Personally, I only know Terceira and I loved every bit of it!
Can wait to visit all the others.

1 Like