3 Spanish Phrases that Literally Have No Sense in English

If you’re about to learn Spanish or if you travel to a country where this language is spoken, it’s highly possible that you’ll learn some typical phrases. Here are some examples:

-Por si las moscas:
Literal translation: For if the flies.
Used as: Just in case. :thinking:
Example: Llevaré dinero extra, por si las moscas. = I’ll bring extra cash, just in case.

-Ponte las pilas:
Literal translation: Put batteries.
Used as: Get ready :man_teacher:
Example: Ponte las pilas que vamos a aprender español. = Get ready to learn Spanish.

-Sacar la piedra:
Literal translation: Take the rock out.
Used as: Frustrate / Upset / Anger. :sweat:
Example: Me saca la piedra no hablar como nativo. = It’s annoying not to speak like a native speaker.

Have you heard these phrases before? Which other expressions do you know? Tell us in the comments. We’re thrilled to hear about you! :smiley:

3 Likes

The one that really caught my attention was “sacar la piedra” as I’ve never heard it before :nerd_face:
The phrase that came to my mind is “sapo de otro pozo” that describes someone that feels awkward or unhappy as they feel they’re different from the people around them or a situation in which they aren’t familiarized with. The literal translation would be “toad from another well”. Even though there are some English expressions that reflect this idea, for instance: “a fish out of water” and “to be out of one’s element”. For example: “Fui a la fiesta y me sentí sapo de otro pozo”; “I went to the party and felt like a fish out of water”. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I haven’t heard of the expression “Sacar la piedra”, either!

I like using old expressions that even my friends don’t know about :rofl: for example:

• “La mar en coche”:
    Literal translation: The sea by car :beach_umbrella: :red_car:
    Used as: to mention someone who wants it all
    Example: “¿Querés el mejor servicio y encima con descuento? Vos querés la mar en coche.” = Not only you want the best service, but you want a discount? You want everything.

• “De punta en blanco”:
    Literal translation: With a white tip. :white_circle:
    Used as: To be impeccably dressed (New, fresh, stylish clothes) :dress: :business_suit_levitating:t2:
    Example: “El novio estaba vestido de punta en blanco” = The groom was impeccably dressed.

1 Like

I like the way it sounds like village talk it has a nice simplicity to it.
I hope to learn Spanish, and discover this poetic Latin enchantment.

2 Likes

Hi! It’s been years the last time I’ve heard “la mar en coche” :sweat_smile: I almost forgot that expression!

1 Like

Hi! I hope you can learn Spanish, it’s a complicated but beautiful language :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: If you have any doubt or question about it, don’t hesitate to ask and we’ll help you the best way we can :blush:

1 Like

I don’t think Spanish is that hard I’m Brazilian and it’s similar to Portuguese.
The reason I’m learning it is because I Iike the hispanics in US.
They’re very family.

2 Likes

Santiago I was watching a show and I learned the coolest expression.
“Super Padre” it means “Super cool”.

2 Likes

Yes! In Mexico they usually use “padre” to mention something that’s cool/nice, as in “Esa remera está bien padre” (“That T-shirt is really cool”)

Here in Argentina we have so many words for that, we say “copado” or “fachero”, and probably a lot more :rofl:

Spanish is amazing in its diversity, really :grin:

1 Like