Did you know that the Russian language has more expressions for shades of blue than most other languages? In fact, Russian has no single word for just blue.
Here some examples:
- Синий - dark blue
- Голубой - light blue
- Бирюзовый - from light green to light blue
- Васильковый - deep bright blue, the color of cornflowers.
- Лунный - pale bluish
- Моревый - the color of the sea
- Тёмно-бирюзовый - dark blue-green
- Ультрамариновый - blight blue
- Цвет морской волны - “color of the sea wave”, blue-green
These are just some examples, and they are really used in common life. Curious, isn’t it? So many ways to describe such a deep color…