Any option for Romaji (English character set) subtitles?

Hi - is there any option for Romaji (English character set) subtitles? It’s impossible for me to use the app if I can’t read the kanji/hiragana to know which words are which! Thanks!

-David

1 Like

Hey David. We are working to provide that option as soon as possible. It will be the best option for beginners to follow up the content. Thank you for the comment

1 Like

Well, until then I guess I will cancel my subscription. When do you plan to have that option up and running? I’ll re-subscribe then.

1 Like

Personally, I’m against this feature.

Romaji does a poor job representing Japanese syllables as a whole, and as a crutch, it slows down learning in every other area. You can listen to the word to get the sound and transcribe it on your own; that’s probably better for learning anyway.

If you crack down on the alphabets you can learn 'em in a week (each).

I’d be more in favor of a true beginner section that includes a katakana and hiragana teaching component. Something like Duolingo’s “Learn the Characters” feature with more interaction via text in videos.

2 Likes

Hey Vainoni

I totally agree with you. We are working on building this category with educational show including videos teaching hiragana and katakana. We have an english letter subtitle option but we still need to correct it to make it accurate and ready to use

Thanks for the feedback

I say, why not have both? Different people learn differently.

David

Sure…I just think romaji is the long slow painful way to learn this language, especially if the plan is to learn it to fluency.

I’ve been doing this for a while, and tried almost everything out there at one point or another. I think it’s entirely dependent on goals. People who only want to speak and listen (and not read and write) could benefit from a romaji approach, but only if that romaji includes pitch-accent designations (like what you see in “Japanese: The Spoken Language,” or on Kanshudo.com). Most representations of Japanese characters lack this critical information and don’t do anything but encourage incorrect, English-sounding pronunciation.

I’ve seen it set people back in the long run, and if you’re learning Japanese from English, it’ll be a long enough process in any case. Use a resource (any resource: there are tons of good free ones) to learn the two main alphabets (not kanji) in a week or so, and then there’ll be no need for romaji ever again. I spent my first month learning in romaji as a necessity and was terribly confused the whole time. Any ideas how many meanings a work like “shita” has? (Four, off the top of my head.) Or “hana” (means “nose” and “flower”), or “koshou” (32 possible meanings, 10 of them common). Wading through the identical homophones gets real old real fast in romaji.

2 Likes

Yes, you are right.
It all depends on your goal. Some people just want the romaji here to be able to read the subtitles as thet don’t know the kana or kanji yet, but in long terms we know that romaji is not the best option. But, as David said, the best thing is to have all the options available to suit all the different moments and stages of learning for the ones who use our platform. Hope we can provide this to you guys soon.

1 Like

Once that feature is in place, I’ll renew my subscription.

David