Classical weekend and festivity on January: "Epifania o La Befana". Did you ever heard about it?

La Befana is an old tradition of Italian culture, born from pre-christianism magic culture of Rome. She appears to be an adaptation of the old goddess Strenia. In the Christian tradition, is connected to the Three Wise Men as an old woman that helped them to find the route to find Jesus.

IN WHAT CONSIST THIS TRADITION?

In resume, is about an old woman that give candies and toy to the children that has been good person in the last year, if they weren’t she give them a piece of carbon :grimacing:.

In the present day, Italian people put a big sock with the name of each children in the house, and put candies, chocolate and other sweets on it :candy:.

What about that festivity? You’ll start to make it just to get som candies, right? :laughing:

Here is a translation to Italian for this post
:it:
La Befana è un’antica tradizione della cultura italiana, nata dalla cultura magica precristiana di Roma. Sembra essere un adattamento della vecchia dea Strenia. Nella tradizione cristiana, è legato ai Re Magi come un’anziana donna che li ha aiutati a trovare la strada per trovare Gesù.

IN COSA CONSISTE QUESTA TRADIZIONE?

In sintesi, parla di una donna anziana che regala caramelle e giocattoli ai bambini che è stata una brava persona nell’ultimo anno, se non lo fossero gli darebbe un pezzo di carbone

Al giorno d’oggi, gli italiani mettono un calzino grande con il nome di ogni bambino in casa e ci mettono sopra caramelle, cioccolato e altri dolci

E quella festa? Inizierai a farcela solo per prendere delle caramelle, giusto?

1 Like

I used to love this holiday when I was growing up. Especially because it meant that the Christmas break was going to be longer :laughing:
But, where I come from, we also normally pile up a big stock of wood to burn and celebrate all gathered across the fire to warm up!

1 Like

For sure! Me too, I remember that the end of the year was just a little bit longer, when I lived in Italy, with La Befana… and more sweet too :rofl:

1 Like