Eselsbrücke (mnemonic) for prepositions with Dativ

I’ve struggled my whole life with Dativ and Akkusativ… :triumph:
But I had a really smart teacher who introduced me an elegant woman with a curious name :person_with_crown: Aubemina Von Sezu.

Her name was a “Eselsbrücke” (mnemonic) to remember which prepositions need DATIV.

Au: aus
be: bei
mi: mit
na: nach
von
se: seit
zu

Best tip ever! Could anyone help me writing sentences to remember this and the declension?

I mean, something like this:
:person_with_crown: Aubemina kommt aus einer reichen Familie. :person_with_crown: (die Familie → Dat: der Familie)

2 Likes

Great tip!
How about: “Ausbemina lebt mit ihren zwei kleinen Hunden:poodle: :dog2: (Nom: ihre zwei kleinen Hunden → Nom: ihre nzwei kleinen Hunden)

(btw, I’m not sure how it came to mean this, but I’m loving the word Eselsbrücke - donkey + bridge :laughing: )

Great!!! Thanks! We need a sentence with “bei”

AUS:

BEI ???
MIT:

Anyone there?

1 Like

It is called “Eselsbrücke” because donkeys do not like to cross any kind of water even if it is very shallow because they can’t judge how deep it is. People used to build bridges for their donkeys so they could and would cross to the other side.
In this sense the "Eselsbrücke " helps you to remember something. It is an extra effort to reach your goal or reach it faster.

1 Like

Aubemina wohnt bei den Großeltern.
(Die Großeltern → Dativ: den Großeltern)

1 Like

BEI ???
MIT:

Aubemina wohnt bei den Großeltern.
(Die Großeltern → Dativ: den Großeltern)
Nach dem Studium ist sie auf Weltreise gegangen. :earth_africa: (das Studium → Dativ: dem Studium)
Sie wurde von ihren Freunden beneidet! :triumph:

1 Like