Furigana for kanji

How do I activate Furigana for the Kanji? Do you have this option.

2 Likes

Hello!

We don’t have this option at the moment, but by clicking in the word written in kanji you can hear it’s pronunciation

I would like to add that many of the words if you click on them by yourself do not say the word or phrase only what the character is saying can be repeated.

Furigana would be a great help. This can help with small errors that can occur when using automated voice readings. For example, the following "によれば (According to) " was proonounced " によれ ” by the playable voiceover (the “mic” icon in the subtitles) – meaning, it confused the “ba” sound that comes with the two (“ten-ten” marks) with a topic marker (“wa”) sound. Having furigana would help correct this. But for my money, an even more handy aid would be to have the kanji characters currently being pronounced change into a bright red or blue color. Since it is common for multiple kanji from different words / terms to be “smooshed” right next to one another (without spaces) this helps Japanese kanji learners to distinguish exactly which character is being pronounced when playing the videos. --Otherwise, I must replay the videos multiple times to isolate a given kanji. (Hint: having a second tab open, with a right-click for a given word or term or kanji can help a lot!)

You’re right. Netflix, for example have the furigana on the subtitles. We are looking forward to implement the same system. We are trying to check with our content providers how to do it so as we can add this option of caption as well.

That’s awesome news, Rafael, thanks so much for continuing to iterate improvements on this. If I could add a suggestion: because “Western” learners usually aren’t familiar with kani/kana (combo) syllabary, it can be hard for Japanese learners to separate words. One reason is that a single given “character” (kanji) could contain multiple syllables, or be pronounced multiple ways; so separating words (in addition to superscript furigana) is especially helpful to “new” learners. Thanks for all the hard work – !