German Cuisine and Recipes!

Here we can recommend recipes and and dishes. Whats is your favorite german meal?

When I was young, I moved to Germany and one of the things that surprised me, was that a lot of germans eat Abendbrot everyday. Abendbrot is a dinner that consists of different breads, cold meat, cheese and vegetables.

5 Likes

My favourite meal is “Abendbrot” as well. They also have a vast variety of sausages to go with it, too. My favourite one is “Leberwurst” ( which is some kind of liver pâté ). I also love their “Spekulatius kekse”, Christmas would not be the same without them. “Spekulatius” cookies are made with a special spice mix of: cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, ginger powder, cardamom and anise :cookie: :christmas_tree:

4 Likes

They all look delicious, When I was a kid I had this neighbour once that cook the best apfelstrudel that I’ve ever tasted :apple: :heart_eyes:, I think she was from Austria though…haha

6 Likes

Hi, I love almost every German food! I am obsessed with bretzels! When I was in Germany I used to eat one almost every day and I love how there is also a lot of types of bretzels, so I never got bored of them :rofl: :rofl:. I also like Käsespätzle and Apfelstrudel. This list woudn’t be complete without mentioning the beer which goes perfectly with everything :laughing: :laughing: :smile:

5 Likes

Definitely one thing that is hard to beat is the German bakery.
I read that there are more than 3000 different types of bread that are made and sold in Germany every day.
I personally love the sourdough rye breads and of course the Brezeln!
Potato dumplings are great too! They are usually served as a side dish with a roast but are also tasty just with gravy or roasted the next day!
Sausages very a lot between the different regions. I personally swear on the ones from NĂĽrnberg and Franken!
When I visit Germany I have to stock up on treats from the sweet aisle. Liquorice and gummy bears are a must…the list is too long to mention it all.

5 Likes

Those potato dumplings are called Knödels right? When I was in Germany my host family used to make them all the time. They were Bavarian by the why. I tried to make them at home but it’s never the same :rofl: :woman_cook:

3 Likes

Another thing that surprised me was that they ate apple puree as a side dish and I have to say … it goes perfectly with a “schnitzel”. Oh, and if a German tells you that something is spicy, BELIEVE them!! :rofl:

3 Likes