German Idioms and how to use them

Hi there!
Here’s a list of some German idioms I’ve learn with the time that are quite common when speaking German! :smiley: :smiley: :face_with_monocle:
• Du spinnst! = Is used as a way of saying someone’s crazy.
• Einen Kater haben = although the actual translation of ‘Einen Kater haben’ is to ‘have a male cat’, this expression is used to say someone’s hangover.
• eine Extrawurst braten= translated to English this really means ‘to roast someone an extra sausage’ but said as an expression is to ‘treat someone in a special way’
Do you have any more examples? Let me know! :hear_no_evil: :speak_no_evil:

5 Likes

I’ve always liked that Kater means also a hangover as well as a cat :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

As for other expressions, I think “Ich verstehe nur Bannhof” (literally, I only understand train station) can be very useful, as it’s used to say that you haven’t understood a thing.

3 Likes

I didn’t knew that one! I find it very hilarious :rofl: :rofl:
One that I think can be useful as well is " Zwei Fliegen mit einer Klappe schlagen" (kill two flies with one swat). This idiom is quite similar to the one in English “kill two birds with one stone”, so it could also be easy to learn and use!!! :bird: :bird:

2 Likes

The one about the extra sausage is too good to be true! :rofl: Can’t wait to have the oportunity to use it in a conversation.

That’s a very useful one! I once heard the expression „Das kommt mir Spanisch vor“ used in the same context. I find it very interesting how every language has its own version of this expression, eg, "That’s Greek to me“ (ENG) “Esto me suena a chino” (SPA).

2 Likes