German Music Recommendations

Hi there! I think that it is important, when learning a new language, to submerge yourself in the culture of the country you’re interested in knowing the language of. I think that when you get to understand the culture, you get to understand easier the language, so I was hoping someone could recommend me some German music. I like pop and rap music but I’m open to listen to other genres as well! :wave: :arrow_down: :heart:

5 Likes

I also would love to know some German songs!
Any suggestion???

2 Likes

Hi!
I also love listening to music when learning a new language. It lets your ears get used to the sounds without having to do anything but enjoy the music! :musical_note:
Some of my favourite German artists and bands are Mark Forster, AnnenMayKantereit, Von Wegen Lisbeth, Dota Kehr and Wanda. Their music is mostly pop and indie, so give them a try! And if you like rap, Sido is also a great choice.

I would also like to get any new recommendations, so I’m going to keep an eye on this topic! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

4 Likes

Die Gedanken sind frei is one of my favourites traditionals songs, and has a very interesting story

2 Likes
5 Likes

This version is with the original words

6 Likes

wow! I loved it! Really nice music! What’s the story behind it?

3 Likes

The idea of the title “Thoughts are free” has been expressed since the beginning of history, and regained importance during the Middle Ages, when Walther von der Vogelweide (1170-1230) sang: “Sind doch Gedanken frei” (“Thoughts are indeed free”). The Austrian Minnesänger Dietmar von Aist (12th century) composed the line “Die Gedanken, die sind ledig frei” (“So only thoughts are free”).
It originally had only four stanzas, but a fifth was added later. Today, its order may vary. During the German Revolution (1848/1849) and in Nazi Germany, the song was banned. It was also used by the White Rose, the anti-Nazi resistance movement in Germany. Pete Seeger recorded the song in 1966 on his album Dangerous Songs!
This song has recently been performed and popularized by the New York band Brazilian Girls.

4 Likes

Thank you! I loved your explanation, I find really interesting the story behind this song, and it does certainly adds a lot of meaningful value to it, aside from the musical piece! :heart:

2 Likes

thanks a lot. I remember that song from my primary school and juat as an adult I could get to know the story!

3 Likes

If you like Rap, Germany has developed a wide Hip-Hop culture since the 90s. I recommend some of the artist of the label Eimsbush from Hamburg, like: Absolute Beginner, Deichkind, Freundeskreis, Blumentopf, wich have interesting lyrics :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Here a very popular song from Nena, an 80s icon. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMHLkcc9I9c

4 Likes

Talking about music, if you like industrial rock there is Rammstein on top. They sing in german.
There are many famous german heavy metal bands but most of them sing in english, for example Skorpions, Helloween, Udo, Gamma Ray, etc. There is a good folk metal band of nord Germany called Santiano, that has some songs in german.

4 Likes

I love Deichkind! Have you heard Marteria? A raper I discovered these days!

5 Likes

Music is always a great way to learn a language and experience a little bit if it’s culture. I highly recomend AnnenMayKantereit . :musical_note: It’s lead singer has a beautiful voice and their soft style makes it easy to understand the lyrics. Hope you like it!

5 Likes
4 Likes

I love 2 German bands ( one „The giant rooks” sing in English but they are excellent) The other is annenmayKanntereit. Excellent and eady to learn tracks

5 Likes

I have just listened to it. It’s sounds very good!

3 Likes
3 Likes

Hi there,

One of the favourite German singer songwriters is Reinhard Mey. His lyrics are often very funny.

6 Likes