How many of these Spanish curiosities did you know?

Spanish is a very rich language and it’s full of peculiarities. Now we’re going to show you some: :man_teacher: :woman_teacher:

1. The Spanish it’s Spoken in the Sixth Continents: El español se habla en los seis continentes: despite it’s thought that is only spoken in America and Europe, the Spanish has been extended throughout the whole world. :world_map:

2. The Spanish Counts on 88000 words: El castellano cuenta con 88.000 palabras: in the RAE dictionary (Real Academia Española) there’re found 88000 words. In the novel written by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quijote de la Mancha, were used almost 33000 different words; while an average citizen only uses around 5000. :chart_with_upwards_trend:

3. It’s the Fastest Language to Pronounce: Es el idioma más rápido de pronunciar: this is due to the amount of syllables that an average speaker can say per second. The Spanish is the second fastest language, where it shares its position with the Japanese. Whereas the slowliest languages to pronounce are: German and Mandarin. :running_woman: :running_man:

4. Letters “CH” and “LL” Doesn’t Exist: Las letras Ch y Ll no existen: many people don’t know that they were deleted from the Rae in 1994. Something we must highlight is that the “H” is the only silent letter, except when it’s placed after the “C”. Anciently, most of the words that nowadays are written with the initial “H” were written with the initial “F” (in its Latin version), such as “farina” instead of “harina”. :woozy_face:

5. Anciently, the Spanish was known as the “Christian”: Antiguamente el castellano era conocido como el «Cristiano»: when the Arabs arrived to the South of Spain, almost all the population used the word “Christian” to distinguish between those who spoke the Spanish from those who spoke the Arab. :church:

Did you know these curiosities? What do you think of them? :smiley:

1 Like

I’ve heard the one of Don Quijote :books:, but I didn’t know it was spoken in the sixth continents, that was really interesting! And the one of being one of the fastest languages to pronounce was one that really caught my attention! :nerd_face: