How to use し in Japanese sentences

Hi, guys! :slight_smile:

I’m Leila from the Japanese team and it’s my first post here. I’m usually working on the cc-by content, but I’m doing some posts of grammar too. Nice to meet you. :slight_smile:

Today I’m going to talk a little about how to use 「し」.

When you can use it?

① When you give an information and add more information.
(moreover/ not just that, but also…)
② When you give a reason for something.
(It can appear in the middle or at the end of the sentence.)
③ To enumerate two different things in order to make a contrast in the sentence.
④ To make your point during a conversation.

The 4 ways cited above are used, but today I’m going to focus just on uses ① and ②.

Let’s give a look at some examples?

① When you give an information and add more information

a) 古川君はカッコいいよね。イケメンだし、頭も良いし、それにスポーツも上手ですよ。
(Furukawa-kun is cool, isn’t he? He’s handsome, intelligent and, also, good at sports.)

b)ラーメンが大好き!美味しいし、安いよね。
(I love ramen! It’s tasty and cheap, isn’t it? )

In the sentences “a” and “b” the person speaking is enumerating some characteristics and adding some information by using 「し」. In “a”, Furukawa is considered to be handsome and also intelligent, and also good at cooking. By using 「し」, it’s implied that he has other good qualities other than the mentioned. In “b”, ramen is considered to be a food not just tasty, but in top of that, also cheap. Here, ramen has other good qualities other than the mentioned.

② When you give a reason for something.

c) A:「え?春合宿に行かない?」
(Eh? You’re not going to the spring camp?)
B:「ううん。お金ないし。」
(No. Because I don’t have money.)

d) 今日は寒いし、出かけないよ。
(I won’t go out today, because it’s cold.)

In the other hand, in the sentences “c” and “d” the person speaking is giving a reason for something. When used for giving a reason, the 「し」can come in the middle of the sentence, as in “d”, or at the end of it, as in “c”.
In “c”, B is giving a reason why he’s not going to the party and, in “d” the speaker is giving a reason explaining why he’s not going out today.
It’s really common using 「し」on this way on daily conversations, so you can observe a lot of characters of dramas and animes using it.

Structure

Verb/い adjective (informal) +
なadjective+だ/noun +だ(informal) +

CC-BY

As it’s common in conversations, what about looking at an example extracted from the cc-by show “The boyfriend of the roses”?

「なんで私が?自分で渡せばいいんじゃないですか。すぐ帰ってきますよ。」
(Why me? Wouldn’t it be better if you give them yourself? She’s almost coming back.)
「僕長居するわけにもいかないし」
(Because, it’s not like I’m going to stay here for too long.)

Here, Rie-chan is refusing to give her mom the flowers her mom’s boyfriend brought, and after that, says to him to give it personally to her mom, since she was coming back soon. Then, he explains that he can’t, because he doesn’t pretend to stay there for a long time.

That’s all for today. See you! (^^)~