Karneval Time in Germany

Hello! When I think about special dates in February I immediately think about Valentine’s Day (14th February) :heart: :heart:!
But, for Germans “Fasching”,“Karneval” or “Fastnacht” also comes to mind. This celebration takes place in all parts of Germany, in form of a carnival. One can see parades in the streets, people wearing colorful costumes, loud music and food and drinks everywhere. Truly a wonderful time!

Do you know the story behind “Fasching”? When was this practice originated and why? Comment down below!!!

5 Likes

The carnival in Germany has a very long tradition. It is celebrated just before the fasting begins.
Officially it starts on the 11th of November at 11:11 o’clock and ends on Ash Wednesday. The most important days are Rose Monday and Shrove Tuesday on which lots of celebrations and parades take place. Carnival is called "the fifth season ".
One of the original ideas was to have fun, be wild & crazy and eat and drink lots before the 14 days of fasting prior to Easter.
This is the time of fancy dress and putting on fun costumes.
A traditional food is a kind of jam filled doughnut called Krapfen/Berliner/Pfannkuchen. In some places the baker used to mix in a couple of mustard filled ones as a prank!

5 Likes

In the city Köln is the biggest and “Fasching” of all Germany. Thats the place you have to go, if you want to see the german karneval!

4 Likes

I love this celebration! I find this special season so interesting to learn about, I love it’s uniqueness. Does anybody know wether it is also celebrated in another country as well?

3 Likes

I think Carnival celebrations around the globe are fascinating, because most countries with a Catholic history celebrate it in some way, but they each give them their own twist, according to their culture! :partying_face:
For example, I can think of the celebrations that take place in Venice and Rio de Janeiro, which are massive, and even Mardi Gras in New Orleans, but all of these festivities (as well as Germany’s Fasching/Karneval are very distinctive :raised_hands:t5:

3 Likes

In Austria, we use to eat a fish salad and Krapfen (sweet, fried rolls filled with apricot jam). Fasching is also used to make comedy shows where they talk in a funny way about politics and social issues.

3 Likes

I had no idea Germans had their own Carnival :interrobang:
Very interesting

2 Likes