Let's get festive with these traditional cakes!

Hi everyone! :slight_smile:
Now that the Holidays are approaching I thought it would be nice and interesting to have a little insight on some of the most famous cakes consumed throughout Italy during Christmas.
Let me assure you that I have tried to make them and so it’s for sure dummy proofed :joy: I’m kinda a disaster in the kitchen, if the hint was too subtle. So if I can make it, everyone can! :smiley:

1. Sole vincitore (literally translated to Sun the winner). This is a typical treat from Rome, it is a mix of spices and flour that gives it distinctive yellowish-goldish color once done.
    The best thing is that once you take a bite into it you will find a delightful surprise of a mix of nutts. Here is a yummy picture!

2. Panforte (hard bread): this is typical from the province of Siena and has been made for more than a millennia! It used to be a type of sweet that used to be limited to the wealthier people. The recipe involves the use of spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg, honey and dried fruits. But if you move a little bit more south people make it also with pepper and cacao! :yum:

3. Bucellato siciliano (translated to crown). Typical to the island of Sicily, pastry filled with dried fruit and chocolate pieces, arranged like a doughnut and decorated with candied cherries and citrons.

4. As a chocolate lover, this is one of my favorite!!! Tronchetto di Natale (Christmas tree log). Typical from the Piemonte region (north). Although this cake is not recommended to who is on a diet :rofl: I can assure that no bite will leave you feeling bad for breaking out of it! Its shape reminds a tree log, that’s where the name comes from, made back in the day by the farmer families of Piemonte, inexpensive, and a perfect way to gather everyone at the table around this awesome cake!

5. Struffoli, from Naples. Considered a poor cookie of Greek origins, where they were used to be called “strogulos”, which literally means rounded. They used to be made in Neapolitan nunneries, and then brought as a gift to the noble families of Naples.

6. I will have to be biased with this one, from my hometown Verona, the awesome Pandoro (golden bread), of a eight point star shaped. Invented in 1894 by Angelo Dall’Oca Bianca. The traditional Pandoro is served with a crème (vanilla or chocolate) or pudding, and normally it is eaten after the midnight mass of Christmas night. Or you can just more simply dust it withy powdered sugar.

How about you guys? What are one of your local sweets you normally eat over the Holidays? I absolutely can’t wait to hear some of them!

1 Like

I love Pandoro!!! Especially with chocolate pudding inside!! :heart_eyes: