Russian language evolution

My family was born and raised in the Soviet Union, and I learned Russian from them. At the same time, I also talk quite a lot with Russian people whose families left the country at the beginning of the 20th century, and whose Russian language is a bit different.

There are certain concepts that changed words over time. For example:

• Ледник - Холодильник
    Both words mean the same thing: refrigerator. The first, ледник, comes from the word лёд (ice). The second, холодильник, comes from the word холод (cold).

• Жалование - Зарплата
    Here both words refer to wages. Жалование comes from жаловать (to reward someone with something). Зарплата comes from заработная плата (payment for work).

• Автомобиль - Машина
    Here the difference between the two words meaning “car” is more basic. It went from being автомобиль (auto-mobile) to машина (machine).

• Аэроплан - Самолёт
    Finally, to refer to an airplane it went from using аэроплан (air-plane) to самолёт, from the combination of words сам (alone) and летать (to fly).

It’s fun to notice how the language changes! I would like, if anyone can think of it, to see other examples of the same thing. :purple_heart: