Russian Patronymic

If you are studying Russian, you may have noticed that this language often makes use of the patronymic in a person’s name. This is a component of someone’s full name, based on their father’s name. :busts_in_silhouette:

It exists to complement the name by distinguishing the owner of the name from a homonym, to clarify the father-son relationship within the family circle, and to express deference. Although its use was more common in the past, today it is often used in formal settings, in official documents, and to speak to someone of a greater age or rank.

The correct order of the full name is first name + patronymic + surname, or surname first in case of formal documents.

In modern Russian, the patronymic has the endings -ovich / -evich / -ich / -ovna / -evna / -ichna / -inichna ; and in old Russian, -ov / -ev / -in / -ova / -eva / -ina

My father’s name is Олег (Oleg) and I’m a woman, so my patronymic will be Олеговна (Olegovna).

If you are curious, you can put your father’s name in the comments and we will tell you what your patronymic would sound like! An approximate one can be deduced even if it’s an uncommon name for Russian. :nerd_face: :heart:

2 Likes

Well, im Spanish and my father’s name was Kermit. I imagine it would be Kermitovich. However that would be one heck of a Russian last name.

2 Likes

Kermitovich, exactly! Of course, it is uncommon in Russian to hear such a patronymic, but the meaning of it remains :sweat_smile: