In the 18th and 19th centuries in Russia it was fashionable to speak French, so several French words flooded the Russian language. Here are some interesting examples of borrowings from the French language:
- помада [pamAda] - lipstick. Comes from the French “une pommade”.
- балет [balyEt] - ballet. Comes from the French “balletto”.
- шофёр [shafyOr] - driver, comes from the French “chauffeur”.
- апорт [apOrt] - imperative of “to bring”, usually used with dogs. From the French “apporte”.
- одеколон [adekalOn] - perfume, comes from the French “eau de Cologne”.
I also heard that the French language has some words adopted from the Russian. French speakers, do you know some?