Six cases in Russian language

Hello there! :nerd_face:

Today I want to tell you a little about the six cases we have in Russian language. They exist to show what function a noun has in a sentence. Take note! :memo:

• Именительный падеж (Nominative Case): it answers the questions кто/что (who/what), and identifies the subject of a sentence.
    Example: Наташа сказала, что приедет попозже. (Natasha said that she would come over later.)

• Родительный падеж (Genitive Case): it answers the questions кого (whom, of whom) and чего (what, of what). It shows possession, attribution or absence.
    Example: Сергей находится слево от дерева . (Sergey is to the left of the tree.)

• Дательный падеж (Dative Case): it answers the questions кому/чему (to whom/to what), and shows that something is given or addressed to the object.
    Example: Я повернулся к человеку , который стоял справа от меня. (I turned to the person who was standing on my right)

• Винительный падеж (Accusative Case): it answers the questions кого/что (whom/what).
    Example: Я покупаю новый телефон . (I’m buying a new phone.)

• Творительный падеж (Instrumental Case): it answers the questions кем/чем (with whom/with what). It shows which instrument is used to do or make something, or with whom, with the help of what an action is completed.
    Example: Я люблю писать ручкой . (I like to write with a pen.)

• Предложный падеж (Prepositional Case): it answers the questions о ком/о чем (about whom/about what).
    Example: Расскажи мне о своей семье . (Tell me about your family.)

The endings of Russian words change depending on the case they are in, so it’s useful to learn them (by heart, I suggest) to sound more fluent. Soon I will be showing you what variations can have the words! Good luck and if you have questions leave them in the comments! :heavy_heart_exclamation:

2 Likes