Some typical Russian dishes

Today I want to tell you what are some of the dishes that you cannot miss when you visit Russia. :plate_with_cutlery:

• Пельмени - Pelmeni:
    Small balls of minced pork, lamb and/or beef, wrapped in flour dough. One of my favorite dishes, personally! My grandmother prepares them wonderfully.

• Оливье - Olivier Salad or Russian Salad:
    Invented by Lucien Olivier, a Belgian chef, head of a renowned Moscow restaurant, the Hermitage. Made with boiled potatoes, carrots, pickles, peas, eggs, celeriac, onion, mayonnaise, and chicken or ham. It’s often served during the New Year holidays.

Check our show ‘Russian New Year Eve’s Food’ to know how to cook it! Learn a Language with TV Shows and Movies - Lingopie

• Окрошка - Okroshka:
    Cold soup served in summer. It consists of a mixture of raw vegetables, boiled potato, egg, ham, with a drink called kvas.

• Холодец - Holodets:
    Dish based on meat broth, with pieces of meat, which form a gelatinous mass by cooling (the word comes from холод - cold in Russian). Popular appetizer for the holidays.

• Блины - Blini:
    Russian pancakes. Although pancakes are universally prepared, I highlight them because of the fact that there is one week a year, Maslenitsa, when it’s common to eat pancakes with caviar, salmon and other savory fillings.
    unnamed

Have you tried any of them? Did you like them? Which dish would you add? :yum:

3 Likes

They all look delicious.
The only dish I have tries is the Russian salad, but I would love to try the others too. :grinning:

2 Likes

In this case, I would like to recommend you the episodes of “Russian New Year Eve’s Food”, where Julia, from our team, teaches you how to cook several typical dishes of a Russian table!
Here’s the link: Learn a Language with TV Shows and Movies - Lingopie :yum:

2 Likes

Ohh, great!!
Thank you for the recommendation, I will watch it for sure :fire:

2 Likes

I usually make a lot of borscht to put in the fridge for the week so that I can have it for dinner every other night. Beets are apparently really healthy for you. 9 Impressive Health Benefits of Beets

3 Likes