Spanish Class - Usted o Ud.?

Let’s start with telling the origin of Usted (singular) :bust_in_silhouette: and Ustedes (plural). :busts_in_silhouette:
To start with, usted would be the abbreviation of Vuestra Merced. Then, it turned into Vusted and finally, usted was left.

In almost all Hispanic countries, its use is more formal and of cortesy, except for Costa Rica, Chile, Honduras. In some places of Colombia, Venezuela and Guatemala this also apply, but its more commonly used in treating friends or families, as a cordial way. :grinning:

Also, it exists the “accent gocho” (in the Venezuela’s andine zone) that it’s differentiated for its marked use. Tú, the voseo and Vuestra Merced are abandoned completely. This is because they don’t imply an implicit respect by the speaker, because it’s used permanently. The same happens in Bogota and Colombia.

When writing, it’s very common to abbreviate them as Ud. or Uds. (its plural form). They’re always written in capital letters and with a final dot, no matter their place in the sentence. :face_with_monocle:

Have you ever seen these abbreviations before? Tell us if [b]you have ever had the chance of using them. :thinking: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

I had no idea “Used” came from “Vusted”. :open_mouth:
“Ud” and “Uds” are also form I never used… I usually wrote “Ust” which is obviously wrong :sweat_smile:
Thank you for the little class!!

2 Likes

Thank you, Ervin, I didn’t know about that either! Amazing.

2 Likes