Spanish Grammar Lesson: Interjunctions

Hi :wave:! Today we’re going to tell you about some Spanish interjunctions.
They’re words/ phrases that work as independent sentences with their own meaning. They express a mood, or also they catch the listener’s attention. When they’re written, they go together with the exclamation mark.
Here are some examples:

Some examples used in sentences:

1. ¡Vaya! El negocio está cerrado./ ¡Vaya! The store is closed.
  2. ¡Shhhh! El niño está durmiendo./ ¡Shhhh! The kid is sleeping.
  3. ¡Epa! ¡No vayas tan rápido!/ ¡Epa! Don’t leave so fast.
  4. ¿Eh? ¿Qué quieres decir?/ ¿Eh? What you mean?
  5. ¿Estás lista para salir? ¡Perfecto!/ Are you ready to go out? ¡Perfecto!
  6. ¡Puf! ¡Qué cansancio!/ ¡Puf! I’m so tired!
  7. ¡Válgame Dios! ¿Qué haces arriba del árbol?/ ¡Válgame Dios! What are you doing on that tree?
  8. Estábamos almorzando muy tranquilos cuando ¡pum!, la mesa se desplomó frente a nosotros./ We were having lunch quietly, when, ¡pum!, the table fall down in front of us.
  9. Ya había perdido las esperanzas cuando ¡bingo!, encontré mi casa soñada./ I had lost hope when, ¡bingo!, I found my dreamt house.
  10. Bah, no le prestes atención./ Bah, don’t pay him attention!
  11. ¡Anda! ¿De dónde sacaste ese traje tan elegante?/ ¡Anda! Where did you take that suit so elegant?
  12. ¡Basta! Quédense quietos de una vez./ ¡Basta! Stay quiet!

What do you think of this kind of word? Have you ever used any of them?:thinking:

1 Like

I think these would qualify as interjunctions as well, I hear them all the time (demasiado youtube de España y México!)

¡vale! or ¡órale! both can be used to mean ¨okay¨

My favorite of all time is from Mexico. ¡AGUAS! It is a warning to be alert. As i understand it, it originated in mexico in times before modern sewer systems. It was shouted as a courtesy before throwing the dirty water from your house to the streets below.

¡Basta! I remember from my childhood, my friend’s mom would always say ¨¡ya basta!¨ when we were acting up. I didn’t know any spanish, but the meaning was quite clear to everyone. hehe

These are great, Thanks! - Ed!

2 Likes