Spanish Lesson: Orthographic Signs

Hi :wave:! Today we’re going to see the orthographic signs, these are graphic marks that aren’t classified neither as letters nor as numbers. They’re found in written texts. They don’t interfere with the intonation (as in the case of the punctuation mark) and their functions are very varied. Now we’re going to see some examples:

VIRGUILILLA [~]: also known as “the stick of the ñ”. It has the shape of a wave that’s written above the “N” and it’s produced with a nasal sound. For example: “Feliz cumpleaños”
DIÉRESIS [ü]: they’re two points written on top of the letter “U” in the syllables –GUE/ –GUI when this have to be pronounced, for instance: “sinvergüenza” or “pingüino” :penguin:
TILDE [‘]: also known as “graphic accent”. It consists of a little oblique line written on top of vowels. It’s the representation of the accent in Spanish. It’s function is to indicate in the written form when it’s produced a stronger vocal force when you pronounce a word. That stronger vocal force is known as ACCENT

Did you know these names? What other signs come to your mind? :thinking:

2 Likes

The one that confused me the most was the angular quotation marks (“«” and “»”). known as “comillas angulares” en Español. I have never seen them covered in any of my spanish classes and figured it out while reading several different Spanish books. I believe they are used the same as regular double quotation marks in English, is that correct? Aquí tiene un ejemplo:

«No importa», decía jóse

now if only i could figure out how to type it on my regular international keyboard instead of just the on-screen mobile device keyboard. Hehe.

Thanks for this post! -Ed

2 Likes

Hi! Thanks for your comment! In fact, we’re working on that topic at the time and it’ll be posted as soon as possible :blush:

1 Like