"Tal vez" or "A lo mejor"

Hi Spanish Lingopie learners. I have had a doubt about the Spanish language for a long time.
What is the difference between “Tal vez” and “A lo mejor”.
Do both words mean “Maybe” or are they used in different ways?
Thank you :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Hi, Deborah! Both Spanish phrases (“tal vez” and “a lo mejor”) can be translated as “maybe”. Both express doubt, showing that you aren’t sure enough whether something is true or if something will happen. For example: “Maybe Mary was right when she told me I was jealous”. However, there are some differences in the mood used and also in the general use itself. “Tal vez” is followed, generally, by a subjunctive mood. But, it can also be followed by an indicative mood. For instance, “Tal vez tu padre venga esta tarde” (subjunctive mood) or “Tal vez tu padre viene esta tarde” (indicative mood). Another thing is that “tal vez” it’s a more formal expression. However, “a lo mejor” is always followed by a verb in the indicative mood, this is the case of: “Bueno, a lo mejor me expliqué mal”. Of these two Spanish expressions, “a lo mejor” is the most used colloquially.

The indicative mood is used to express fact, opinion, assertion, or questions. This is the most used mood; for example: “I want a chocolate” or “Are you going to the party?”
On the other hand, the subjunctive mood expresses a wish for something to be true; such as: “If only I were at the beach right now” or “If I were you, I would be thrilled about the play”.

We hope you’ll find this useful or if you have any doubts, don’t hesitate to ask us :blush:

3 Likes

Thank you for the great explanation!!
It has been very useful. :100:

2 Likes