The Japanese Traditional Festivals - Matsuri

Hello dear japanese learners
日本語学習者の皆さん、どうも
にほんご がくしゅうしゃ の みなさん、どうも
Nihongo gakushusha no minasan, doumo

In some countries around the world, Carnival is celebrated at this time of year. Japan also has its popular festival which, despite being unique, has joy, animation and party spirit in common with other countries around the world. These festivals are known as Matsuri or 祭り in Japanese writing. In today’s post I will tell you a little about them and their origin.

The origin of the Matsuri is linked to Shinto, the Japanese national religion. The term Matsuri is originally used to designate ceremonies of worship of Shinto gods. The ideogram that forms the word (祭) refers to anything consoling deities, spirits and departed souls. Matsuri connection with Shinto remains nowadays since most of the matsuri in the present are held by Shinto shrines of a local community.

The Matsuri do not have a specific date to take place. In each region of Japan there is a specific date for festivals. Some focus on summer but can happen at any time of the year. As said, they are usually organized by local Shinto shrines and bring the community together to celebrate the harvest, the bounty, or some specific entity. Tents are set up selling typical foods and people dress in traditional clothes like the Yukata. If the festival is in the summer, there are also fireworks.

A striking feature in some of the Japanese festivals is the procession carrying the Mikoshi, a litter of the entity worshiped in the temple of that community. Men carry this litter on their shoulders as the crowd follows. The vibe of that moment is contagious.

Japanese festivals are very rich and diverse. They are colorful, alive and full of unique elements of the fascinating Japanese culture. There’s a lot more to explore when it comes to matusri, and we plan to do that in other posts.

Did you like this little presentation about the Matsuri? Tell what you know, share experiences or ask questions.

Let me hear your opnion
皆さんのご意見を聞かせください
みなさん の ごいけん を きかせください
Minasan no goiken wo kikasekudasai

8 Likes

Very interesting, thank you for sharing!
I would love to be part of a Japanese Carnival, it most be amazing :fire:

1 Like

Wow! I didn’t knew about this Festival! It sure does sound amazing and very magical! Thank you for sharing this Japanese custom! I would love to know more about the Japanese traditions! :heart: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :grinning:

3 Likes

Wow, I didn’t know about this… Had to google it and found really incredible pictures!

Do you know if it’s celebrated only in Japan or are there also celebrations in other countries?

3 Likes

It sounds great! I looked at some pictures like Yan did, and it does look incredibly magical! :fireworks:

1 Like

Wow! :star_struck:
So cool to learn about new costumes and cultures.

2 Likes

Ahhh, I miss travelling!
Thanks for bringing some far away culture closer to me while I am sitting at home!!!

2 Likes

Wow!!! It is so nice to learn new things! Thank you for sharing :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

I think that China and South Korea might have similar festivals, but in each of them the festivals are full of unique characteristics

2 Likes

こんにちはアメリカンの智也です。初めまして!このポストありがとう!日本大好きです!It’s very interesting the comparison of Matsuri and Carnival. I’ve never really thought of the paralel before. Thank you!

2 Likes