The Nativity scene

Hi everyone!!! :grinning:
As Christmas :christmas_tree: is approaching and the streets are abounding with decorative lights :star2:and stores with Christmas trees and food, I wanted to talk about a very cute custom in Italy, the nativity scene.
Italians put a lot of effort into doing the Nativity and lot of times we have neighborhood of who did it best.

The nativity scene also called presepio, is a representation of the birth of Jesus, which originates from late ancient and medieval traditions, the custom, initially Italian, to set up the crib in the home at Christmas time is now widespread in all Catholic countries around the world.
In this crib there are statues made of various materials and arranged in a realistically reconstructed environment.
There are: the hut, the manger where the baby Jesus is placed, the two parents, Joseph and Mary, the shepherds, the sheep, the ox and the donkey and the angels.
In addition, the crib can also be represented by animals and real people, this is called a living crib!
presepe-vivente-3267412.660x368

1 Like

This makes me miss Italy so much!!!
I remember when as a child they would build a Presepio at the neighborhood’s fountain and they would give out so much Pandoro and hot cocoa!!! :heart_eyes:

1 Like