Hey, Lingo community!
Have you guys ever heard of “untranslatable” words? These are words that don’t have an equivalent or direct translation into other languages. Sometimes, these words are super specific. I find them absolutely fascinating! I’ll share some of my favorites with you:
- Cafuné (Portuguese): “The act of caressing or tenderly running fingers through a loved one’s hair”
- Pochemuchka (Russian): “A person who asks too many questions”
- Backpfeifengesicht (German): “A face in need of a slap”
- Gattara (Italian): “An elderly woman who feeds stray cats and/or lives with multiple cats” (this is literally my future)
- Koi No Yokan (Japanese): “The premonition of love; the feeling upon first meeting someone that you will inevitably fall in love with them”
When I was a teenager, I used to have a little notebook where I would write all the untranslatable words I could find!
For the ones who speak these languages… do you actually use these words often?
And do you know any other untranslatable words? Share them here!