Useful tip - the Word "Exceção"

x - “x” is a big problem for foreigners learning Portuguese (and for some native speakers as well), because it can be pronounced in five different ways: with a “ch”, “s”, “z”, “ss” or “ks” sound. In addition, there are numerous exceptions to the rules of its pronunciation, which makes it even more complicated. In this example, when joined with “c”, the “x” has no phonetic value, and the “x” functions as “s”. The most recommended thing for those learning our language is to consult a dictionary with phonetic transcription to be sure of each case.

ç - It is always pronounced with an “s” sound.

ão - This sound is very difficult for non-native speakers to reproduce, and is pronounced in a very nasalized manner, something like “aum”.

Do you find it difficult?

Be connected, in Portuguese! :portugal: :brazil:

Yes… I find it very difficult! :sweat_smile:
I tried the ão sound so much… but I can never pronounce it correctly.
I guess the only way to really learn how to speak Portuguese would be to hear native speakers speak and join conversation groups. Also watching at tv shows and listening to music could help for sure.

1 Like

I agree! Listening for music is a really great because we can be driving, for example and still be learning. I will explore audio books as well, or audio lessons. Perhaps Lingopie will have some? For those who spend a lot of time on the road!!!

1 Like

It’s important to mention that the word “Exceção” means “Exception”.

ex: Toda a regra tem exceção - Every rule has exceptions

1 Like