Weekly Recommendation

Hello fellow japanese learners
日本語学習者の皆さんこんにちは
にほんごがくしゅうしゃのみなさんこんにちは
Nihongo gakushuusha no mina san konnichiwa

A lot of people start learning Japanese because they are great fans of Japanese animation, the famous anime. There are many kinds of animes with different plots. My recommendation this week is for the one’s who like animes with an historical background.

Roman takes place in the 19th century Kyoto, in Japan, and tells the story of Manjiro. During the day he works as a helper but at night he acts in secret to return people’s property that has been stolen. A show with a lot of action, good fights and characters.

Please watch it and let me know what you think about it.

1 Like

For me personally, there was a lot of dense historical vocabulary coupled with a lot of ore-otoko (manly man) slang in the first episode. Since the subtitles aren’t annotated and there are no contextual notes it was a bit tough for me to take in at full speed. I find the story interesting and the animation solid, but The Lost Canvas wound up being more beginner-friendly. (Also dense because of the mythology, but at least most of the new vocabulary is katakana, which presents a lower barrier to learning than obscure kanji for different eras and government offices).

1 Like

Hey Vainoni. You’re right. I must say that inside the animes available most of them have its difficulties regarding the vocabulary. Mainly the historical ones like Roman or Genji. I think we can say that just a few animation are actually suitable for beginners. Most of them are intermediate and advanced level. But we are working now on acquiring basic and educational contents that will be more easy to follow.

Thank you for your feedback