What are your biggest challenges while learning German?

I’d like to know what the most difficult aspect of learning German is! Is it the way the language is structured, the pronunciation, or the grammar?
I really want to learn German, but it appears to be quite difficult!
Thank you :slightly_smiling_face:

Hey! :smile:
I love the German language, but I have to admit many things are quite hard, when trying to study it, I dont think I can narrow it down to just one! :joy:

First, there are sooo so many different ways of saying The in German! in English it is so simple, the apple :green_apple:the orange :tangerine: But in German, you will use a different “The” for different cases :exploding_head::exploding_head: You may use das, der, die, dem, den… It’s so confusing! :face_with_spiral_eyes:
Pronunciation can be quite hard too, as German has many sounds that might not be so natural for a non-German: Ö, Ü, ß and “ch”.
One last thing is that Germans speak really fast for non-natives​:speaking_head: (but it might be normal speed for natives) so whenever trying to communicate in a conversation with a German, even after feeling confident in Grammer and dictionary, I feel like I still need to ask "Langsam, bitte":rofl: (slow down, please) because I cannot understand when the speed is so fast! :fast_forward:

3 Likes

Oh wow! Thank you for your reply.
I can totally agree about the pronunciation and the fact that they speak very fast. It is actually very hard to follow. I think I will start by learning some basic vocabulary in order to start getting some context. I already speak French, Spanish and Italian but German is the hardest language to learn for me. I really hope to improve fast. Regarding the pronunciation by hearing the language and watching some shows I think I will get it faster. Thank you :exploding_head:

For me the biggest issue was definitely the pronunciation.
Just saying ‘Straße’ when I first got to Germany was stressful, but I kept trying until it people started understanding what I actually meant :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

The pronunciation is so hard. Actually if you read some German words they are not so bad :sweat_smile:
The problem is how to pronunce them :exploding_head:

2 Likes

I understand you perfectly! :sweat_smile: I’ve been learning French and knowing German I think French pronunciation is more difficult than German pronunciation! :exploding_head: But I highly recommend listening to the language in films, series, songs and repeating the dialogues or words because with practice you get better! :nerd_face: but it’s true that grammar is the most complex part!

3 Likes

For me the hardest part is definitely grammar, particularly learning the gender of every noun because most of the times there are no rules and you just have to study and memorise it :nerd_face:.
I think that pronunciation can be hard at first, but once you get the hang of the sounds it gets much better, because at least the spelling is consistent (unlike in English lol :face_with_hand_over_mouth:)

5 Likes

I think one of the most interesting aspects, and one that could be a bit confusing, is the structure of the sentences. The verb comes last! so it’s a mystery what is said until you finish reading the whole sentence! :face_with_monocle: :eyes:

5 Likes