What Do “Reconocer” and “Anita Lava la Tina” Have in Common?

That’s right! They’re palindromes. :nerd_face:

The palindromes are words or phrases that can be read forwards or backwards and they’re totally understood. Some examples are: “ojo”, “radar”, “orejero”. And some phrases would be: “Somos o no somos”, “Sé verlas al revés”, “Amo la paloma” and “Yo hago yoga hoy”. :man_kneeling: :woman_kneeling:

The origin of the word “palindrome” is Greek and it comes from the construction “palin dromein”, which ironically means “go in the opposite way”, words that can be read in both senses. The same happens with numbers, but it’s called “palindromic number” (“capicúa” in Spanish). This is the case of: 1331, 456654 and 353 among others. :man_teacher:

What other words or phrases do you think of? :thinking: Tell us! :grin:

3 Likes

En Argentina hay una provincia llamada Neuquén, además recuerdo el palíndromo “La ruta nos aportó otro paso natural”.

3 Likes

Uauuuuu @Penka How did you discover that phrase that can be read from both sides? Very crazy!! :crazy_face:
I remember Menem, an Ex-President of Argentina :rofl:. :nauseated_face:

1 Like

@Penka In fact, I never thought there would be any city or province that was a palindrome, it’s amazing! :astonished: :laughing:

What a great phrase!! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Very interesting post! :nerd_face: I only knew some words I’ve never thought of some phrases before :sweat_smile:

Palindromes are so interesting! In Argentina we call them “Capicúas” (although I’ve seen it more used with plate and address numbers)

A palindrome that I know is “La ruta nos aportó otro paso natural” (in this case, you kinda have to “ignore” the accent when reading it backwards, but it still counts! :shushing_face:)

1 Like

The only palindromes that I can think of in Spanish are ‘Son robos, no solo son sobornos’ or ‘Sobornos son robos’ :rofl: :rofl: And also a common phrase used in Spanish ‘Eso no sé’ :smiley: :blush:

1 Like

Those were really interesting examples!! I do really like the one of “Son robos, no solo sobornos” :relaxed: