What is the longest German word you know?

I’ve heard that in the German language you can “join” different words together to create new expressions. Is this true? If so, what is the longest word or expression you can come up with? Bonus points if you use all the letters of the alphabet :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

According to the Duden (which I guess would be the equivalent to the Oxford Dictionary for German), their longest word is Aufmerksamkeitsdefizit-Hyperaktivitätsstörung, which has 44 letters in total and means Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. Naturally, it is generally referred to as ADHS :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
I also find numbers can be quite long, since they are all combined into single words, and I have a soft spot for any number with multiple 5, since they look quite funny and are almost tongue twisters hahaha. For example:
fünf­hundert­fünf­und­fünfzig­tausend­fünf­hundert­fünf­und­fünfzig (555555) :joy:

3 Likes

Hello there! :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: This is actually true, just as you do when you speak English, in the German language you can combine words to make a new noun. These words are known as compound nouns, and can turn to be quite long words, which actually look unpronounceable and really hilarious! :speak_no_evil: :hear_no_evil:

:dizzy:My personal favorite is :dizzy:

“Unabhängigkeitserklärung” which actually translates to “declaration of independence” and it’s made up of the words: Unabhängigkeit (Independence) and Erklärung (declaration)

:heart:Though this noun combines two words, you can find German expressions that compound more than three words into one.

What’s the longest German noun you can think of? :face_with_monocle: :face_with_monocle:

3 Likes

This is quite funny. When I was a child I always made up those super long words. For sure they don’t exist but it is cool that you actually can combine almost all kind of words with each other, for example: Strassenbahnführerkabinentür :joy: :speak_no_evil:

4 Likes