What “man” means in German - Explained!

:bangbang: You’ve probably come across the German word “man”. At first, you probably thought you knew what it meant. “It must mean “man”, right?”. Wrong!

The German for “man” is “Mann”. Notice that it has a double “n” and a capital “M”, because it’s a noun.

The German word “man” does sound exactly like “Mann”, but it doesn’t start with a capital letter, because it’s a pronoun, not a noun. :bulb:

Pronouns are words that are used instead of nouns, mainly to avoid repetition. So if I say: “Tom is my brother”, I could add “He likes cake” and we’d all know I was still talking about Tom without having to say his name again.

In German, “man” is an indeterminate pronoun, because it doesn’t refer to anyone in particular. It could mean anyone or everyone. It works like “one” in English, or even “you” in some cases in which it’s not specific.

Wenn man studiert, lernt man —> If one studies, one learns / If you study, you learn. :nerd_face:

If you wanted to use it as an accusative object, you would say “einen”; if you wanted to use it as a dative object, you would say “einem”. And if you needed a possesive pronoun, just use “sein” and all its variables, as if it were a masculine pronoun.

Now you know what “man” means! Do you have any questions? If you do, let me know in the comments. If you don’t, write some examples to practice! :smile:

3 Likes

Super clear :raised_hands: It was a bit tricky for me at the beginning, thank you!

1 Like

very well explained and expanded. thank you!

1 Like