What stereotypes about Russians do you know?

I’ve heard a lot of different stereotypes about Russians. And most of them are not true :smiley: So let’s see some of the most famous ones.

1. Russians have bears as their pets

Well, of course there are a few people that really grow the bears and train them professionally. But in everyday life we don’t have the bears as our pets. Moreover, I want you to know that people are afraid of them as a bear is one of the most dangerous animals in our country. The only places where we can safely see the bears are circuses and zoos :bear:

2. It’s always very cold in Russia

It’s definetely not true :laughing: As our country is the biggest one in the world we have a lot of climatic zones from +40°C in te southern regions to -60°C in Siberia.

3. Russia is a dangerous and criminal country

I can’t say that Russia is the safest place on Earth, but it’s not as dangerous as some people think. There are some areas where walking alone or at night is not a good idea, but, on the whole, it’s safe enough to live here :wink:

What other stereotypes about Russians have you ever heard? It’s really interesting to know what other nations think about our country :blush:

3 Likes

Speaking of stereotypes, I have a question.

The time I traveled to Russia I noticed that people are more serious, and I know the phrase “Смех без причины - признак дурачины” (Laughter for no reason is a sign of foolishness).

Is it really that hard to see someone smiling on the street, or is it an exaggeration?

Actually, about smiling, it’s true.
You don’t often meet a person who smiles at you just like that. If a stranger smiles at you, we call it a “duty smile”. This is not the best quality and rather alarming. You need a good reason; by smiling, we show our attitude and affection to the person.
But if a Russian person smiles at you, he does it sincerely and from the heart :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

That’s actually very sweet! Using the smile more to express affection, and not a simple cordiality.
Thank you Olga! :blush: :blush: :blush:

2 Likes

I only lived in Saint Petersburg for 6 months but found the honesty about smiling kind of nice, it became really hard to adjust after I came back to the USA and had to relearn to fake smile all the time because I work in a customer service related field.

1. Russians are alcoholics.
    I think we drink more here in the USA. I think the biggest difference though is HOW the two countries drink.
    In the USA we have this binge drinking culture but when I lived in Russia there was always a plate of food out where people ate something after each toast or between drinks. Even at bars. It was pretty great.
2 Likes

Hello!! It’s true, one of the keys for Russians to drink without going bad is to always have something to eat between drinks. It’s important to develop a good stamina :joy:

1 Like