Which is the Longest Word that Exists in Your Language?

According to the RAE (Real Academia Española), the longest Spanish word is: “electroencefalografista”, even though there are longer words, these aren’t in the dictionary. :man_teacher:

And did you know that there’s a word that describes the phobia of long words? Yes, and even it looks like a joke it’s “Hipopotomonstrosesquipedaliofobia” (we also had some trouble reading it) :woozy_face:

Did you know them? :thinking: Can you say: “Electroencefalografista”? Or what about “Hipopotomonstrosesquipedaliofobia”? Tell us
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :grimacing:

4 Likes

I’ve heard about electroencefalografista, but I didn’t know of “Hipopotomonstrosesquipedaliofobia”, which for me it was impossible to pronounce :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

When I was young in Brasil the longest word taught by my Portuguese teacher was paralelepípedo.
It means - paving-stone.

3 Likes

Hi! I knew that word but meaning in Spanish a geometric figure consisting of six equal parallelograms parallel to each other, for instance a brick. I’ve never thought of it as you’ve said. Thanks for sharing! :blush:

2 Likes

The longest words I knew (until today :stuck_out_tongue:) were “Esternocleidomastoideo” (which is a muscle in the neck area) and “desoxirribonucleico” (the DNA, basically).

That phobia name, though! :scream: It’s a tongue-twister in itself :joy:

2 Likes

The longest Spanish word I use in my day to day as an endoscopy nurse is “esophagogastroduodenoscopia”, which is a procedure done in which a scope is passed through the mouth in order to observe the esophagus, stomach, and first part of the small intestine. I typically have a hard time getting through it when speaking with a Hispanic patient!

4 Likes