Who is the father of Italian language?

Hey there! How are you? Hope fine and ready to learn something about the history of Italian language. At this moment, for sure you know that Italian is a “child” of Latin language, right? But do you know when is considered that the Italian language born? Let me tell you something about that.
:woman_mage:t4:
In the Middle Age, after the Roman Empire vanish by a lot of reasons, Italy became a place divided in a lot of little courts with a big influence of the Papal state. By that, the formal and academic language was always the Latin language. Otherwise, as we do in the present, the common language talked on the pubs, fairs, day by day it wasn’t Latin: a kind of slang that mix Latin and other languages of different people that influenced (better say, invaded ahaha) Italian peninsula. This slang was not accepted and used by the academic and formal places, that considered it as rude and poor language talked by “common people”.

:writing_hand:t4: :open_book:

And then, appears a really particular person: Dante Alighieri. This guys, was one of the firsts that wrote his written works in this kind of slang. In his life, was judged a lot for this reason (of course, for others too) and today is consider “Il padre della lingua italiana”. In his life, he wrote La divina commedia, for sure the one of the most important written works for Italian language and humanity too.

So sad to know that only after his life, he could gain this honors title, don’t you think so?

2 Likes

I absolutely agree!
When I was still going to school, I remember we dedicated a huge chunk of Italian hours lessons to study la Divina Commedia. I loved it, and I especially liked the 5th Chapter, or better said “Canto Quinto”.
A fun fact, where I come from in Italy, there is a villa, where Dante resided for a while when sent in exile, and now his descendants live there!
The Villa is called Serego-Alighieri. Actually, at some point, there was only a female descendant left, so in order to not lose the Alighieri last name they “shifted” it to Serego-Alighieri.
I have been there once, and it is nothing less than magical!

1 Like

For sure, Dante’s history is soo deep and interesting. I can project my self at those ages when I studied La Divina Comedia. I also think how is crazy to know that the Italian language is born by a non-academic way to speak ahah Woow Serego-Alighieri is another fantastic place to visit when I’ll return to Italy… there are a lot of small towns with deeps histories there, don’t you think so?